GIPA application forms

Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009

Under the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009, Councils are required to proactively release a range of information on their websites. The changes mean that formal applications for information should be a last resort.

From now on to access information from council you should follow these steps:

  • search the council website
  • contact council’s Customer First Centre and ask for the information
  • council will decide if it can give you the information through informal release
  • council will advise you if a formal access application is required. This will usually be where the information you seek involves information about someone else and council must consult with them first.

A formal application form for access to information held by Kempsey Shire Council is available below in pdf format.

The NSW Information and Privacy Commission (IPC) has been set up to oversee the implementation of the GIPA Act and help councils and the public understand it. The Office of the Information Commissioner can be contacted on 1800 463 626 or you can visit the IPC website at