Local Government Elections
Saturday 8 September 2012
The 2012 election results for Kempsey Shire Council are available from the Australian Election Company website:
An election will be held on Saturday 8 September to elect a popularly elected Mayor and 8 Councillors.
- General information for Voters and Candidates (PDF - 39 KB)
- Notice of Election and Call for Nomination Proposals
Would you like to find out more about becoming a Councillor?
We are providing a range of information for people interested in standing for election to Council.
The Division of Local Government, NSW Department of Premier and Cabinet, in cooperation with the Local Government Association of NSW and the Shires Association of NSW, have prepared a publication about becoming a councillor:
- Becoming_a_Councillor (PDF - 1.5 MB)
Note: this is a 2011 interim update. A comprehensive update will be completed prior to the local government ordinary elections in September 2012.
- Thinking of becoming a Councillor (PDF - 4.5 MB)
- Request for electronic list of electors
The attached form and appropriate deposit must be lodged with the Returning Officer for Council at 82 Belgrave Street Kempsey NSW between the opening of the nomination period, 30 July 2012, and the close of the nomination period at midday, 8 August 2012.
- Form 2 - Nomination Paper: Proposal by Electors (PDF - 419 KB)
- Form 3 - Nominations of Candidates by Registered Political Party – Local Government (PDF - 415 KB)
The Returning Officers office is located at 82 Belgrave Street Kempsey.
The office will be open 8:30am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday.
Phone: 02 6562 2671
Fax: 02 6562 7091
- Candidate information for women - brochure (PDF - 942 KB)
- Candidate information for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people - brochure (PDF - 378 KB)
- The Election Process (updated July 2012) (PDF - 388 KB)
- Stand for your community - be a Councillor (PDF - 389 KB)
|13 June 2012||Election Funding Authority and Division of Local Government Briefing (5:00pm–8:00pm) at Council Chambers|
|14 June 2012||Presentation by Neil Porter at Council Chambers (5:30pm–8:00pm)|
|30 July 2012||Close of rolls (6:00pm)
|2 August 2012||Pre nominations briefing at 82 Belgrave Street (6:00pm)|
|8 August 2012||Close of nominations (12:00 noon)
Ballot paper draws (app. 2:00pm)
Registration of electoral material (how-to-vote) opens
|13 August 2012||Postal voting commences|
|14 August 2012||Post nominations candidate briefing at 82 Belgrave Street (6:00pm)|
|27 August 2012||Pre-poll voting commences|
|31 August 2012||Registration of electoral material closes (5:00pm)|
|3 September 2012||Postal vote applications close (5:00pm)|
|7 September 2012||Pre-poll voting closes (6:00pm)|
|8 September 2012||Election Day (8:00am to 6:00pm)|
|10 September 2012||Return of postal votes closes (6:00pm)|
- Claims for inclusion in the Roll of Non-Residential Owners of Rateable Land or the Roll of Occupiers and Ratepaying Lessees
- Enrol to vote - residents
Council has appointed Australian Election Company to conduct the 2012 Council election. All enquiries in relation to Council’s election should be directed to Australian Election Company by free call to 1800 224 420 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Their website may be visited at:
The NSW Parliament recently enacted amendments to election campaign funding and disclosure laws. The laws affect all political parties (registered and non-registered), candidates, groups of candidates, elected members and third-party campaigners in NSW. The laws also affect donors including corporations and other entities and individuals on the roll of electors for Federal, State or local government elections.
All persons interested in standing for election in September 2012 should familiarise themselves with the information contained in the following link:
- Election Funding Authority website www.efa.nsw.gov.au/local_government_candidate_forms_and_publications
Expressions of interest are called for the positions of Election Polling Officials (work will be performed at a polling place on the day of the election) or Election Casuals (work will be performed in the Returning Office).
Following is an attachment from Australian Election Company for an application for employment as Election Staff.
This application will be required to be completed and submitted by email to email@example.com or faxed to 07 5428 1355. For further information contact 1800 224 420.