Kempsey Shire Council – Flood update #8
Media release - 27 November 2011
River levels upstream from Kempsey continue to fall. The flood peak is approaching Kempsey.
- The river level at Georges Creek has fallen to 5.49m at 7.08pm.
- The river level at Bellbrook Bridge peaked at 7.22m at 9.00am this morning. The level has fallen to 6.00m at 7.15pm.
- The river level at Toorooka Bridge peaked at 6.99m at 12.14pm and has since fallen to 6.47m at 7.14pm.
- The river level at Turners Flat Bridge peaked at 6.32m at about 4.00pm and is now falling slowly. The level was 6.19m at 7.15pm.
- The river level at Kempsey Traffic Bridge was 5.19m at 6.58pm and rising at approximately 50mm/hour. The BoM has maintained the prediction of a peak near 5.2 metres (AHD) with Minor Flooding tonight but it is now expected that the level will slightly exceed that prediction.
- The river level at Seven Oaks was 3.95m at 7.06pm and steady. A further small rise can be expected.
- The river level at the Belmore River entrance was 3.24m at 7.14pm and steady. A further small rise can be expected.
Roads and bridges
- The Bellbrook, Toorooka, Temagog, Turners Flat and Sherwood Bridges remain closed until further notice.
- The Dungay Creek causeway on Dungay Creek Road is closed.
- Theresa Street at South Kempsey is closed.
- Second Lane, North Kempsey is closed.
All floodgates have been closed in preparation for the flood peak and will remain closed until further notice.
The water levels at the Belmore River and Kinchela Creek floodgates will be monitored but it is not anticipated that they will need to be opened.
Issued: 27 November 2011 7.45pm