Kempsey Regional Saleyards
Kempsey Shire Council maintains and operates the Kempsey Regional Saleyards, located on Saleyards Road, West Kempsey.
Sales and operations are carried out by licensed stock and station agents, Kempsey Stock and Land.
The saleyards provide an opportunity for buyers and sellers from across the region and throughout New South Wales to generate income and undertake herd development activities. These sales also support the wholesale and retail sectors of Kempsey Shire and provide broad economic and social benefits. Read more about local Agribusiness.
The facility contains a number of features that have supported a steady growth in throughput, including:
- location close to town and easy access to the Pacific Highway
- a ring selling system for stock, creating the opportunity for pre-sale viewing and weighing
- a covered selling ring, providing shelter to buyers, sellers and stock
- holding paddocks for after-sale use, before stock are transported
- quality assurance accreditation.
To ensure its operations are safe and efficient, Kempsey Regional Saleyards:
Operating model review
Council is continuing the Kempsey Regional Saleyards Strategic Options Review, commenced in 2019, to determine the preferred future operating model for the saleyards.
After extensive engagement with the community, Council resolved at its October 2019 meeting to retain ownership of the saleyards.
Council is now developing a business plan that will:
- enable the saleyards to operate long term as a financially independent and sustainable entity
- reduce Council’s exposure to operational risks
- ensure legislative compliance.
Council is conducting an expression of interest (EOI) process through the open market to determine options for leasing the saleyards. Depending on the response to that EOI, Council will determine whether to continue operating the saleyards using licence agreements with stock agents or to lease the saleyards to an external party.
The business plan that Council is developing under the operating model review will also identify any potential major future capital works required at the saleyards.
Council is actively investigating grant funding options to support any capital program that is identified in the business plan.
Any partial grant opportunities, such as matching grants that require an equal contribution by Council, will be considered in the context of the business plan and operating model review, as well as Council’s overall budget position.