Paying your rates

Your rates can be paid annually, with the total amount due on 31 August each year, or by quarterly instalments. Rate notices are sent by post, or residents can register to have them sent by email by clicking on this link: register for eNotices


Instalment dates each year are 31 August, 30 November, 28 February and 31 May.

Weekly, fortnightly or monthly direct debits can also be arranged.

Pay your rates using any of the following methods:



Post Billpay

Rates and charges can be paid using Post Billpay.


How to make payment:

1. You will need your rates and charges notice

2. Log into Post Billpay

3. Enter the POST BILLPAY CODE: 2041

4. Enter the billpay code and reference number which can be found in the payment advice rates and charges notice section at the bottom of the notice

5. Type in your payment card details and the amount you wish to pay.


BPAY is available through your own financial institutions internet or mobile banking platform, or by phoning your bank.

Use BPAY BILLER CODE: 4200 to pay your rates. You will also need your Customer Reference Number from your rates notice. BPAY payments made with a credit or debit card do not attract a surcharge.

How to make payment online:


1. You will need your rates and charges notice

2. Log in to your online or mobile banking account

3. Select BPAY and your preferred account

4. Enter the BPAY BILLER CODE: 4200

5. Enter the BPAY reference number which is located under the biller code on your bill

6. Type in your payment card details and the amount you wish to pay.





You can make payment over the phone by calling either Postbillpay or Council's Customer Service team. Make sure you have your rates notice and payment card details ready.



Step 1.Phone Postbillpay 

Dial 13 18 16 and follow the prompts




Step 2.Phone Council Customer Service 

Dial 02 6566 3200 


In person

Council's Customer Service Officers can take payment in person at 22 Tozer Street, West Kempsey.

You can also pay in person at any post office or bank - please have your notice with you. Note: a minimum payment of $20 is required.


Direct debit

Step 1.Read our terms and conditions

Take a moment to read the Terms and Conditions of our Direct Debit Request Service Agreement(PDF, 54KB) .

Direct debits payments based on weekly, fortnightly, or monthly schedules, are calculated on the full assessment amount, from financial year to financial year, with the last day of payment being 31 May.

To amend or cancel your existing direct debit rates payments, you need to be the direct debit account holder, or have authorisation from the ratepayer such as power of attorney, to complete this form.

Step 2.Gather your documents

You'll need your bank account details and a recent rates notice handy.


Step 3.Fill out Direct Debit Form

Request a direct debit by filling out the form below.

For more information or help filling out this form, please contact Council Customer Service on 02 6566 3200.

Click here to view form(PDF, 131KB)



Please make your cheque payable to Kempsey Shire Council:

Kempsey Shire Council

PO Box 3078

West Kempsey NSW 2440 


Support for people who are experiencing financial difficulties

We understand that some people are concerned about meeting their financial commitments, including paying their rates.

Local Councils have some options to help people who are experiencing financial hardship under the Local Government Act.

Some examples of circumstances which cause people to experience financial stress and hardship include:

  • Loss or change of employment
  • Loss or change of income
  • Illness
  • Separation or divorce or other family crisis
  • Family violence
  • Carer responsibilities
  • Impacts of unforeseeable events (i.e. such as the impacts of a pandemic or natural disasters)
  • Significant changes to rates and charges related to legislative and regulatory changes
  • Impacts following a general revaluation of land by the NSW Valuer General
  • Impacts due to any significant changes to Council’s rating structure.

The Local Government Act describes what kind of financial assistance Council can provide to ratepayers.

The types of assistance Council is legally able to provide for financial hardship are:

Arranging periodical payments

Council can accept payment of rates and charges through a negotiated weekly, fortnightly, or monthly payment arrangement.

Writing off accrued interest

Council may write off accrued interest on rates and charges payable if:

  • the person was unable to pay the rates and charges when they became due for reasons beyond the person’s control
  • the person is unable to pay the accrued interest for reasons beyond their control
  • payment of the accrued interest would cause the person hardship.

Pensioner concessions

Council may support pensioners who are experiencing financial hardships by:

  • Extending the pensioner rebate to a person who would not normally be eligible but shares their home with a person who is an eligible pensioner.
  • Council may waive or reduce rates, charges, and interest due by a person who receives a pension, allowance, or benefit, and is the holder of a pensioner concession card issued by the Commonwealth Government.
  • If it is decided that payment of rates and charges would cause financial hardship, eligible pensioners over retirement age may be allowed to accrue rates and charges against their estate. The amount deferred is then payable when the property is sold, passes to the estate, stops being the main place of residence or if the applicant is no longer an eligible pensioner.

General revaluation of land and changes to the rating category of properties

A ratepayer who experiences a rate increase in the first year following a revaluation of land values by the NSW Valuer General, may apply to Council for relief if the increase in the amount of rates payable would cause them substantial hardship.

For more information and assessment guidelines, download the Hardship Relief to Ratepayers Procedure here, you can also complete and submit our Hardship Rate Relief Application(PDF, 590KB), or call Council on 6566 3200 for a confidential discussion.

Other hardship resources

If you are experiencing financial hardship, you may find the below resources helpful:

Federal Government - Immediate help if you’re in financial hardship:

  • Help for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
  • Free financial advice and counselling
  • Free legal advice
  • Financial support
  • Food, housing and other support
  • Tax support and early access to your super
  • Mental health support
  • Natural disaster
  • Family and Domestic violence
  • Recently unemployed

Federal Government - crisis payment

  • Family and domestic violence
  • Humanitarian entrants
  • Release from prison or psychiatric confinement

ATO – support in difficult times:

  • Tax and super support
  • Natural disaster support
  • Personal crisis support
  • Support from other agencies

NSW Government – recovery support:

  • Waste fees and power bills
  • Revenue NSW
  • Service NSW
  • Navigating financial recovery
  • Crisis payments
  • Childcare costs
  • ATO
  • Free financial counselling
  • Help from banks and other service providers

    The Salvation Army

  • Financial assistance
  • Financial counselling
  • Financial coaching
  • No interest loan scheme

Business Support Hub – Regional Development Australia Mid North Coast

  • Grants, funding, incentives and support
  • Business support
  • Disaster support
  • Training support
  • Employment support

Rural Financial Counselling Service:
The RFCS is an ongoing Australian Government program. It provides free and independent financial counselling to eligible farmers, fishers, foresters and small related businesses experiencing, or at risk of, financial hardship.