Certifications & inspections

You may require different types of certificates or inspections for building and subdivision works undertaken at your property. 

Construction Certificate

Once you have received development consent, you may need to obtain a Construction Certificate before you begin any building, structural or subdivision works. This is not required if the development is approved as complying development.

Your Construction Certificate application should include your detailed building plans or engineering details and specifications. The plans will most likely contain much more information than your approved DA plans, to allow your builder to work directly from them. The building must be consistent with the plans and the development consent.

You can choose who issues your Construction Certificate: the certifying authority can be either Council or a registered certifier. 

How to apply


At certain stages of construction, building inspections are required by law to ensure building standards are being met and development complies with the approval. The type and the number of inspections are prescribed by the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000.

Inspections are mandatory, and if they are not satisfactory Council or your private certifier may not be able to issue an Occupation Certificate.

Examples of inspections include:

  • start of building work inspection (before any excavation, clearing or demolition work)
  • after excavation for, and before the placement of, any footings
  • before pouring any in-situ reinforced concrete building element
  • before covering of the framework for any floor, wall, roof or other building element
  • plumbing and drainage inspections, before backfilling and internal lining of walls
  • before covering waterproofing in any wet areas
  • before covering any stormwater drainage connections
  • swimming pool safety barriers before the pool is filled with water
  • after the building work is completed and before any Occupation Certificate being issued in relation to the building
  • sewer final inspection

If you have appointed Council as your principal certifier, you can book and pay for your inspection by contacting us on 02 6566 3200.

Occupation Certificate

An Occupation Certificate authorises the occupation and use of a new building or building section. For staged works, an Interim Occupation Certificate may be issued, which will allow you to occupy the completed part of the building.

Depending on the particular Occupation Certificate sought, the principal certifier must be satisfied the development meets regulatory standards. These generally include that:

  • a development consent is in force
  • the design and construction of the building is not inconsistent with the development consent
  • any pre-conditions set out in the consent or requirements of planning agreements have been satisfied
  • the building is suitable for occupation, in accordance with its classification under the Building Code of Australia
  • a Construction Certificate has been issued

A building cannot be legally occupied without an Occupation Certificate. 

How to apply

Subdivision Works Certificate

A Subdivision Works Certificate is required before you commence any subdivision works in connection with a development consent for the subdivision of land.

Subdivision works include civil works such as sewerage works, roadworks and earthworks in connection with appropriate conditions of consent. A Subdivision Works Certificate certifies that subdivision works carried out will be consistent with the development consent and that these works will meet all regulatory requirements.

Subdivision Works Certificates are issued by either Council or a private certifier at the start of the construction process. They do not apply to complying development certificates and some Crown developments.

When subdivision works are completed, you can apply for a Subdivision Certificate, which authorises the registration of a plan of subdivision under Part 23 of the Conveyancing Act 1919 (NSW).

How to apply

Subdivision Certificate

Most subdivision requires development consent under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 (NSW), except where it may be permitted as exempt or complying development under the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008.

A Subdivision Certificate:

  • certifies that the subdivision plan has been completed in accordance with the relevant development consent or complying development certificate, and
  • authorises the registration of the subdivision plan for lodgement with NSW Land Registry Services.

A Subdivision Certificate is issued by the relevant consent authority – most commonly, Council. Before a Subdivision Certificate is issued, Council or the registered certifier must be satisfied that the matters specified in section 6.15 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 have been addressed.

An application for a Subdivision Certificate may be made only by the owner of the land or any other person with the written consent of the land owner.

How to apply

More information

Read more about using the NSW Planning Portal