Research a property

There are many codes, policies and guidelines that determine what you can do with your property. 

As of 1 December 2021, a reference to an Environment Protection zone E1, E2, E3 or E4 in a document should be taken to be a reference to a Conservation zone C1, C2, C3 or C4. For further information please see Standard Instrument (Local Environmental Plans) Amendment (Land Use Zones) Order 2021 (

Employment zones commence within Kempsey Local Environmental Plan on 26 April 2023.

From 26 April 2023, in a document (other than a state environmental planning policy) a reference to a former zone under an environmental planning instrument is taken to include a reference to a new zone under the environmental planning instrument.

To determine the new zone for previously zoned Business and Industrial zoned land please refer to the published Equivalent zone tables (

NB: Document means an Act, statutory or other instrument, contract or agreement, and includes a document issued or made under or for the purposes of an Act or statutory or other instrument.

Search for planning information using the Spatial Viewer

The NSW Planning Portal’s Spatial Viewer provides information-rich maps for every address and lot in New South Wales.

You can use the Spatial Viewer to find planning information about a property, such as its land use zoning and whether it is mapped as being bushfire prone. All you need is the address or lot of the property you wish to search for.

Flood Planning Mapping

Kempsey Shire Council also publishes Flood Planning Mapping based on the latest flood modelling. This indicates which properties in Kempsey Shire are likely to be affected by flooding.

For more detailed information, please contact Council's Duty Officer on 6566 3200.

Get a Planning Certificate

A Planning Certificate contains all the information Council has about planning controls and other issues that may affect a particular parcel of land.

Council issues two types of Planning Certificate under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 (NSW): 

  • A section 10.7 (2) certificate provides information on how a property may be used, which planning instruments apply and other restrictions on development.
  • A section 10.7 (5) certificate provides the above information but includes additional Council advice on other matters affecting the land, provided Council has information available.

How to apply

Application for Certificates under Sections 10.7(2) & 10.7(5) (formerly s149)(PDF, 250KB)

More information

Planning guidelines and tools

Heritage conservation

Prepare your DA