Register a food business

If you're starting a new food business or mobile food business in Kempsey Shire, you'll need to register with Council.

You can now register a new food business or new mobile food business online through Council's Applicant Portal.

Food businesses that must register

You will need to register if you wish to operate any retail food outlet such as a:

  • cafe or restaurant

  • supermarket

  • convenience store

  • delicatessen

  • takeaway outlet

  • mobile food vendor, food truck or temporary food stall

  • school canteen

  • home-based food business

  • ancillary food business

  • water carter.

You must also register with Council if you are starting a children's service, including daycare or childcare where food is provided, or you are a manufacturer, distributer, caterer or importer who sells directly to the final consumer.

How to apply

You can register your food business through Council's Applicant Portal below. Please select First Time User Registration and create a username and password for the portal.

Apply for food business registration


You can also use the Applicant Portal to change your details with Council.

If you have any difficulties using the Applicant Portal, please phone Council Customer Service on 6566 3200 or email


It is free to register your food business with Council, although Council inspection fees may apply depending on the type of activity you intend to conduct.

Food safety

For detailed information about food safety requirements for businesses, please see our Food safety information page.

Outdoor dining

You need to obtain permission to conduct outdoor dining at your restaurant or cafe. To do this, you must use the NSW Planning Portal to apply for consent under section 125 of the Roads Act 1993 (NSW).