Eight waste wise tips for winter
Published on 26 May 2023
Anytime is a great time to think about how we can reduce the amount of waste we produce. This winter we’re encouraging everyone to be more waste wise and reduce, reuse, repair and recycle whenever possible.
Reducing waste can also mean saving money. Making repairs or reusing something you found at the op shop or the back of the cupboard rather than buying new.
It’s a win win for you and for the environment.
Here’s 8 simple ideas to reduce the amount of waste we produce in our day -
- Choose products with minimal or no packaging
- Limit your use of single-use and disposable products – choose to reuse and buy alternatives that can be used over and over again
- Repair your household items instead of replacing them with new items
- Donate unwanted clothes, household items, furniture or appliances to family or friends, a charity or sell them
- Choose building materials that are durable, or use recycled materials when possible, and save yourself some cash
- Create a compost, worm farm or get some chooks – these will all take care of your food scraps and organic waste
- When planning a purchase try to find it second hand – it’s amazing what people sell or give away
- Keep reusable bags handy – put them in your car, handbag, or backpack and ditch those plastic fruit and veg bags
Find information on bin collection, waste disposal and an A-Z guide on ‘Which Bin?’ that helps you know what types of waste go in which bin here