Community safety


We all want our neighbourhoods to be safe and welcoming places to live.

Community safety relies on all sections of the community working together to create a safe environment for people to work, live and travel in. It involves building partnerships between police, Council, government agencies, community organisations and individuals.

How to report crime

Crime can occur in any neighbourhood. It is important to report the crime occurring in your community, as this information can help the police protect residents, visitors and businesses.


Phone 000 for police, ambulance or fire attendance in an emergency.

Police Assistance Line

If you have experienced crime other than a major or life-threatening emergency, contact the Police Assistance Line on 13 14 44. 

Crimes you can report to the Police Assistance Line include:

  • break and enter
  • motor vehicle theft
  • stealing
  • fraud
  • malicious damage, including graffiti
  • minor traffic crashes
  • lost property.

Crime Stoppers

To report information which may help the police stop, solve or prevent a crime, phone Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

You can contact Crime Stoppers with information about:

  • people wanted by police
  • unsolved crimes
  • suspicious or unusual activity
  • crime that is being planned
  • people you know who have committed criminal offences but have not been arrested.

Community safety meetings

Police and Aboriginal Consultative Committee

The Police and Aboriginal Consultative Committee (PACC) is organised by NSW Police with the aim of engaging with Aboriginal communities. Everyone in local Aboriginal communities is welcome to attend. Light refreshments are provided.

For more information, contact Inspector Martin Bourke at Kempsey Police Station on 6561 6199.

Community Safety Precinct Committee

The Community Safety Precinct Committee (CPSC) is held quarterly across the Mid North Coast. Committee meetings are organised by NSW Police to engage the broader community in community safety and crime prevention.

At the committee's meetings, community members, Council and NSW Police Force local area commanders share their perspectives on local crime prevention and community safety matters.

This forum also provides opportunities for local area commanders to promote accurate local crime information and raise awareness about crime prevention approaches.

For more information, contact NSW Police on 6583 0199.

CCTV camera locations

Kempsey Shire Council maintains closed circuit television (CCTV) cameras in retail and commercial centres across the Macleay Valley. The cameras are designed to increase community safety and reduce crime and antisocial behaviour.

Cameras are located at:

  • Smith Street and Belgrave Street area, Kempsey
  • Riverside Park, Kempsey
  • Elbow Street, West Kempsey
  • Lachlan Street, South Kempsey
  • the beachside retail and commercial areas of South West Rocks and Crescent Head.

At each location, signs advise that the CCTV cameras are in operation 24 hours a day.

Alcohol in public places

Like other NSW councils, Kempsey Shire Council has introduced outdoor alcohol restrictions to help tackle alcohol-related crime and anti-social behaviour.

This includes having alcohol prohibited areas and alcohol-free zones. These help to create a safer environment for residents, businesses and visitors.

Alcohol prohibited areas

Alcohol prohibited areas are generally parks, sporting fields and children’s playgrounds.

There are two types of alcohol prohibited areas in Kempsey Shire:

  • areas where alcohol is prohibited at all times. In these areas, it is illegal to consume alcohol 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
  • areas where alcohol is prohibited between 7pm and 11am daily. In these areas, it is illegal to consume alcohol between these times.

Alcohol prohibited areas have been established in:

  • Blackbird Flat
  • Crescent Head
  • East Kempsey
  • Frederickton
  • Gladstone
  • Grassy Head
  • Hat Head
  • Jerseyville
  • Kempsey
  • Smithtown
  • South Kempsey
  • South West Rocks
  • Stuarts Point
  • West Kempsey
  • Willawarrin.


Kempsey-Shire-Alcohol-Prohibited-Areas.pdf(PDF, 6MB)

As separate maps:

Blackbird-Flat-Camping-Ground-Alcohol-Prohibited-Area.pdf(PDF, 208KB)

Central-and-East-Kempsey-Alcohol-Prohibited-Area.pdf(PDF, 462KB)

Crescent-Head-Area-Alcohol-Prohibited-Area.pdf(PDF, 437KB)

Frederickton-Alcohol-Prohibited-Area.pdf(PDF, 388KB)

Grassy-Head-Alcohol-Prohibited-Area.pdf(PDF, 424KB)

Hat-Head-Alcohol-Prohibited-Area.pdf(PDF, 419KB)

Jerseyville-Alcohol-Prohibited-Area.pdf(PDF, 333KB)

Smithtown-and-Gladstone-Alcohol-Prohibited-Area.pdf(PDF, 354KB)

South-Kempsey-Alcohol-Prohibited-Area.pdf(PDF, 499KB)

South-West-Rocks-Alcohol-Prohibited-Area.pdf(PDF, 533KB)

Stuarts-Point-Alcohol-Prohibited-Area.pdf(PDF, 541KB)

West-Kempsey-North-of-Broughton-Street-Alcohol-Prohibited-Area.pdf(PDF, 502KB)

West-Kempsey-South-of-Broughton-Street-Alcohol-Prohibited-Area.pdf(PDF, 420KB)

Willawarrin-Alcohol-Prohibited-Area.pdf(PDF, 200KB)


If you're found drinking alcohol in an alcohol prohibited area, you will be given a warning and the chance to stop drinking. If you continue to drink in an alcohol prohibited area, your alcohol can be confiscated or tipped out. If you don't cooperate with NSW Police officers, you may receive a fine.

Alcohol-free zones

Alcohol-free zones are roads, footpaths or public car parks where it is illegal to consume alcohol 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Alcohol-free zones have been established in:

  • Crescent Head central business district (CBD) 
  • Greenhill residential area 
  • Hat Head (special event: 1 December–31 January) 
  • Kempsey CBD
  • Smithtown
  • South Kempsey residential area 
  • South West Rocks CBD 
  • West Kempsey CBD 
  • West Kempsey residential area.

These zones will be in place for a period of four years, from 1 October 2019 to 30 September 2023.


Kempsey-Shire-Alcohol-Free-Zones.pdf(PDF, 4MB)

As separate maps:

Crescent-Head-Alcohol-Free-Zones.pdf(PDF, 445KB)

Greenhill-Residential-Area-Alcohol-Free-Zones.pdf(PDF, 407KB)

Hat-Head-Alcohol-Free-Zones.pdf(PDF, 422KB)

Kempsey-CBD-Alcohol-Free-Zones.pdf(PDF, 399KB)

Smithtown-Alcohol-Free-Zones.pdf(PDF, 309KB)

South-Kempsey-Residential-Area-Alcohol-Free-Zones.pdf(PDF, 500KB)

South-West-Rocks-CBD-Alcohol-Free-Zones.pdf(PDF, 418KB)

West-Kempsey-CBD-Alcohol-Free-Zones.pdf(PDF, 386KB)

West-Kempsey-Residential-Area-Alcohol-Free-Zones.pdf(PDF, 481KB)


If you are found drinking alcohol in an alcohol-free zone, you will be given a warning and the chance to stop drinking. If you continue to drink in an alcohol-free zone, your alcohol can be confiscated or tipped out. If you do not cooperate with NSW Police officers, you may receive a fine.

Where can I drink alcohol?

Council has many parks where you can drink alcohol between 11am and 7pm only:

  • Blackbird Flat Camping Ground, Blackbird Flat
  • Crescent Head Holiday Park Reserve – day visitor area
  • Baker Drive Reserve, Crescent Head
  • Pioneer Park, Gladstone
  • Memorial Park, Gladstone
  • Grassy Head Holiday Park Reserve – day visitor area
  • Hat Head Holiday Park Reserve – day visitor area
  • Rotary Park, Jerseyville
  • Yakka Watson Park, Smithtown
  • Riverside Park, Smithtown
  • Horseshoe Bay Reserve, South West Rocks
  • Stuarts Point Holiday Park Reserve – day visitor area
  • Willawarrin Sports Field and Rodeo Ground, Willawarrin.

How to report graffiti

Graffiti removal relies on community members notifying Council when they become aware of graffiti on public buildings and Council assets. To report graffiti, you can: